Saturday, July 9, 2011

Needles to say...

I was reminded of  the time I had my brain surgery two years ago, I wasn't scared of the actual surgery. I was more concerned on the billings (hehehe) NEEDLES. That actually freaked me out and is still freaking me out. Before a surgery, you get to have the standard tests first like ECG, X-ray, stool & urine test and of course....blood works. That was the time I had my first dextrose. I was so stressed that I had something inside my skin, I think I slept for an hour or two after. Then med techs or nurses would be inside my room everyday to get blood from me and minutes after that I would doze off. The worse experience was a day after the surgery, the nurse removed my IV (not sure if that is what you call it) My nurse friend said it was a surgical needle based on the little or as she described it as a big mark it left. The nurse then was having a little chat with my cousin as he removes the IV. I was facing the opposite side as I might die of fear. Then I suddenly felt  a warm thick liquidish flowing on my arm & unconsciously I looked at it. There I saw blood flowing out of my skin with that nurse unaware of what was happening. I felt my body weakened even more but I managed to speak and catch the attention of the nurse and my cousin who was still chatting. I closed my eyes while I can feel them rushing in movements. Never talk to a nurse when they're poking or taking out pointed things inside your body. Eversince then, I let them do their jobs and never distract them. Here are some of my photos during my confinement in TMC.

I think we were laughing here because the tape was too small. The surgical rooms were full so I was placed at the pediatrics floor for 3 days and obviously most of the things are for kiddy size including the tapes.

Everyday, they would take blood 2 or 3 times.

These needles suck the energy off me. I would doze off for an hour or two everytime

That was not the end of my needle experience. No matter how I ignore the "blood donations" at our office and how they try to sell that it's healthy...I did not go for it. I even tried manning the event and I couldn't bring myself to go inside the room. So they placed me at the registration just outside the room but still, I was fighting that fear because I could hardly feel my knees.

Then I had to go through a routinary lab test that my neurosurgeon made me take. It's called the prolactin test. They just get blood 2 - 4hours upon waking up.  I have to pray and psych myself out a couple of days before I go to The Medical City's ambulatory services. Sharing some information on this:

Here's the reference interval of the count of a normal person:
Male: 69.54 - 417.22 mIU/L
Female: 68.69 - 617.34 mIU/L

Before the surgery, my count was like 2,000+ mIU/L
After the surgery, it went up to 10,000mIU/L (test done Feb 10, 2010)
I had to take Parlodel daily to lessen the count
After one month from the first test, it went down to 7,014mIU/L (test done March 30, 2010)
After six months, it went down to 1,858mIU/L (test done October 13, 2010)
After three months, it went down to 943.50mIU/L (test done January 10, 2011)
After six months, it's now down to 794mIU/L (test done July 7, 2011)

I'm happy with the development. I can't wait to give this report to my neurosurgeon. It did not go down that much but I am happy that we're almost near to the normal count. Hopefully, this would end my needle days.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Andy,

    A cheerful heart is good medicine.
    Bible, Proverbs 17:22

    tca...

    john sta.maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John! The Lord is always with me on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete